January garden planning tipsJan 15, 2021 12:08PM ● By Julene Reese
If last year’s spike in gardening interest is any indication of what this year will be like, now is the perfect time to start planning! Consider these tips with links from the Utah State University Extension Gardeners Almanac.
* Peruse garden and seed catalogs to help determine new vegetable varieties to try in the garden this year.
* Plan and design your vegetable garden. Try to implement crop rotations of vegetable families to reduce disease buildup.
* Consider growing herbs and microgreens indoors to add fresh greens to your diet.
* Use deicing compounds sparingly to avoid salt damage to landscape plants.
* If you are storing bulbs, check their condition to ensure they are firm, and remove any that are soft or rotten.
* Perform routine maintenance on lawn mowers and other small engine garden equipment.
* Many of our Master Gardener courses will be held virtually or as a combination of virtual and in-person classes this year. For information about Master Gardener classes, visit extension.usu.edu/mastergardener/find-a-program.
* Specific gardening information can be found at garden.usu.edu. Here you will find fruit, vegetable and herb growing guides, information on soil, lawn, yard, tree, shrub and flower care. In addition are monthly tips, the basics of gardening, information on events and classes and more.