Skip to main content

Davis Journal

News Briefs

Sep 16, 2021 09:33AM ● By Becky Ginos

Photo by Steve Greenwood

Legacy fire forces evacuations, causes power outages

A wildland fire in the wetlands west of Kaysville and Farmington last Friday afternoon forced some evacuations and caused power outages in the area. By evening the Legacy Fire had pushed north and then burned out in a green belt west of the Davis Sewer District in Kaysville. 

A wind shift then pushed the fire south and east toward Farmington. Areas impacted were from the Davis Sewer District to the south of Glovers Lane.

Multiple fire departments in Davis and Weber counties were called in to assist with the fire. Winds from an incoming storm made the firefighting efforts difficult as smoke covered entire neighborhoods. A strong fire line was put in place with the construction of the West Davis Corridor.

About 8 p.m. a strong rain storm swept through the area and controlled most of the fire. The rain also cleared out a substantial amount of smoke that was looming over east Davis County, according to the Kaysville Fire Department Facebook page.

Kaysville Fire and Farmington Fire stayed in the area throughout the evening, working hot spots and monitoring for any fire spread or new fire starts.

Authorities said no property damage was reported from the fire and there were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

Suspect taken into custody after standoff in Bountiful

BOUNTIFUL— A 51-year-old man was taken into custody Sunday morning after he hit several vehicles and rammed a police car. 

Cory Adams, of Shoshone, Idaho was booked into the Davis County Jail on charges of aggravated assault, fleeing, reckless driving, three counts of leaving the scene of an accident and disorderly conduct.

About 2:30 a.m. Sept. 12, dispatch received multiple 911 calls reporting a truck driving recklessly and attempting to ram a car, said Bountiful Police Assistant Chief Dave Edwards. “He intentionally hit a car near 2600 South Main Street and injured at least one person in that vehicle. Officers found the truck in the roundabout on 1500 South where he had collided with another vehicle.”

Edwards said officers attempted to stop him but he would not comply with their orders. “Then he intentionally rammed a police car, disabling it. The officer had gotten out of the vehicle and had to jump out of the way before the car was rammed. When two other officers arrived to assist, he attempted to ram both of those vehicles.”

The suspect fled eastbound and spikes were deployed causing the car to stop near 400 South and Bountiful Blvd., said Edwards. “We were able to communicate there but he refused to comply with commands and the South Davis Metro SWAT team responded, using tear gas to force the suspect out of the truck. He was naked and continued to fight with officers who were able to successfully take him into custody.”

The investigation remains open. Anyone with information related to this crime should call the Bountiful Police Department at 801-298-6000.

Police shoot suspect after hostage situation in Farmington

 FARMINGTON—A suspect involved in an overnight pursuit by officers last Friday morning was shot by police and later died after a standoff where the 32-year-old man held five people hostage at a residence in Farmington. The occupants of the house were traumatized but had only minor injuries, police said. 

The incident started about 1:30 a.m. Sept. 10 when police said Joseph Anthony Manard fled after he was involved in an incident in Clearfield. Manard drove away then abandoned the car he was driving near 34th and Center streets then carjacked another vehicle and fired a shot into the window after the woman put up a little resistance, police said. 

Manard abandoned the stolen car near I-15 and Glover Lane in Farmington after police spiked the tires of the vehicle. He ran into a neighborhood where police began a street by street search and the Davis County SWAT team was called in. They heard a shot and found a bullet hole in the window of a Farmington home. No one was injured there. 

Police believe Manard then entered the home on Tuscany Grove Circle through an open window. Somehow two of the home’s occupants managed to escape and called police who surrounded the home. After several hours of negotiations, shots were fired about 9 a.m., police said. Manard was taken to an area hospital and later succumbed to his injuries.

An arrest warrant for Manard had been issued on Wednesday, Sept. 8 in connection with an aggravated assault involving his family. He was charged in 2nd District Court on Thursday, Sept. 9 with aggravated robbery and aggravated kidnapping and unauthorized vehicle control for an extended time.

During the manhunt, the Davis School District cancelled morning kindergarten at Reading and Stewart Elementaries and the rest of the school had a late start at 10:30 a.m.

WX police officer charged in shooting incident

FARMINGTON—Charges have been filed against a Woods Cross police officer who allegedly fired at a vehicle in a car lot near 1650 W. 500 South in February.

Joshua John Lindsey, 39, was charged in 2nd District court on Tuesday with two counts of aggravated assault, a third degree felony. Lindsey was fired from the department in July following an internal investigation into the incident. 

According to charging documents, on Feb. 7, Lindsey fired four shots at a truck with two men inside who were fleeing. The two men were later arrested after a police chase by other officers ended when the driver of the truck rammed into a chain-link fence and the vehicle got stuck. Investigators later learned the truck was stolen, the charges state.

Lindsey said he thought his life was in danger when he fired at the vehicle, the police affidavit said.

Department policy prohibits officers from shooting at moving vehicles and the internal investigation found Lindsey’s use of deadly force did not meet that standard. 

No court dates have been set.